The Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT), through Baltazar Construction, plans to start construction along a section of Feeding Hills Road during the week of March 13th. The project is estimated to cost approximately $3.97m and includes the following features:
1. Roadway widening and signalization to accommodate turning lanes along Feeding Hills Road at Powder Mill Road, Rebecca Lobo Drive, Hudson Drive, and North Longyard Road.
2. Drainage improvements, including new catch basins, manholes, and pipelines.
3. New sidewalks and bike lanes along Feeding Hills Road from Powder Mill Road to Hudson Drive (in accordance with MassDOT’s Healthy Transportation Policy directive).
Construction hours are typically Monday through Friday from 7:00 AM to 3:30 PM, excluding holidays. Construction is expected to continue through November 2017. At times, traffic along Feeding Hills Road may be reduced to one travel lane.
As a results of this increased traffic we are asking all motorist to beware of the surroundings at all times. We would ask that all drivers be cognizance that Feeding Hills Road from College Highway to Foster & North Longyard Road will be a construction site which will require everyone to:
- Pay attention and keep off your devices – even if you are hands free. Talking on the phone causes cognitive distraction. There is a lot happening in work zones, you need to pay attention to the Officers and the signs.
- You must keep your eyes on the road. Traffic conditions can change quickly and unexpectedly in work zones.
- So Slow Down – especially at the first sign of a work zone. Obey all posted speed limits.
- Speeding violations are double the original fine when occurring in a work zone.
The Southwick Police Department is planning on providing as many traffic updates as possible. There are no scheduled detours for this project. You can expect delays so if you know an alternative route we would suggest utilizing it.
The Southwick DPW is providing local support and input to MassDOT and Baltazar Construction on behalf of the Town. Refer to the Town website with periodic construction updates. If you have any questions, please contact the DPW at 413-569-6772.