A Special Permit is needed for a variety of uses. A Special Permit is need for some uses in the R-20B, BR and IR zones. A Special Permit is always needed in the Wireless Communications District, the Water Supply Protection District, for an Estate Lot, Earth Excavation and for a Flexible Residential Development.
Application and Fees
• An application must be filed with the Town Clerk.
• You must include two copies of the application, a certified abutters list, and 7 copies of the plans.
• The fee for filing an application with the Town Clerk is $175.00.
• Copies of the plan are distributed to the following departments: Town Clerk, DPW, Conservation Commission, Board of Health, Fire Department, and Planning Board.
• A period of 35 days will be allowed for other boards to review the application/plans if necessary.
Public Hearing Process
• The Public Hearing must occur within 65 days of filing.
• Notice of the Public Hearing is posted in the newspaper two times within 14 days of the scheduled hearing.
• Notice of the Public Hearing is sent to all Town Boards.
• A letter is sent to the property owners listed on the abutters list, notifying them of the Public Hearing.
• Notice of the Public Hearing is displayed on the Southwick local TV channel for 7 days prior to the Public Hearing.
• A decision by the Planning Board must be filed within 90 days of the close of the Public Hearing.
• The applicant will be notified of the filing so that they may go to the Town Clerk to sign for a copy of the decision.
• A copy of the filed decision, with notice of the appeal period, is sent to the following: Board of Selectmen, Town Counsel, DPW, Conservation Commission, ZBA, Fire Dept, Board of Health, EDC and Assessors.
• The filed decision is subject to a 20 day appeal period.
• Once the appeal period has passed without incident, the Planning Board will sign the copies of the plan. The copies, along with a copy of the filed decision, will be distributed to the following: Planning Board, Town Clerk, Building Department, Board of Health, Fire Department, and Assessors.
• The applicant will be notified so they may obtain a certified copy of the plan from the Town Clerk. The certified copy must be registered in the Hampden County registry of deeds.
• The applicant is responsible for contacting the Southwick Planning Board to notify them of the book and page number of the record registered in Hampden County.
• A Special Permit will lapse if it is not exercised within 2 years of Planning Board filing